The Loyalist Gazette is published twice yearly by the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada, in the Spring and Fall.
The Gazette contains articles and pictures of particular interest to those with an interest in the American Revolutionary War period in history Some articles which have appeared:
- The French Artillery at Yorktown
- Black Loyalists in Canada
- The Loyalist Ancestors of Thomas Alva Edison
- The American Loyalists and Australia: Matra's Proposal
- Peter Oliver: Loyalist Historian
- Standards, Guidons and Colours of the British Army and Provincial Corps During the American Revolution
- Voyage of the 23rd Foot to New York in 1773
- 84th Highlanders
- Major Mordecai Myers: Citizen, Soldier, Loyalist
- Submarine Warfare in the American Revolution
- American Historians on the Loyalists, 1789-1932
- The Mohawks of Quebec
- The Battle and Massacre of Wyoming, Pennsylvania
- Van Cortland Skinner and The New Jersey Volunteers
- American Provincial Uniforms, 1776-1783
- American-Jewish Loyalists
Regular Features Of The Gazette:
- Speakers' Corner ... Letters to the Editor
- Branching Out ... News from the Association Branches
- Books Worth a Look ... Reviews of Books of Interest to Loyalists
- Family Societies ... News with a Genealogical Flare
- Loyalist Exchange ... Loyalist Items Available to Purchase
- Queries ... Genealogical queries ... Queries must be typed, including your name, address, and Branch affiliation. The cost is free to members and $10.00 cdn per enquiry for non-members
The Gazette has traditionally been printed and mailed through Canada Post to members and subscribers.
In 2013, a survey and an analysis considered the feasibility of distributing a digital (electronic) copy of the gazette to those people who were willing to receive it that way. In January of 2014, to further test the possibility, a digital copy of a past issue has been developed.
You can view the digital copy of the Spring 2013 issue, stored as a pdf. (By digital standards, it is not large at less than 8 MB so it is feasible to look at it on even slower speed access.)
If you try this, please tell us how it goes and provide any comments so we can better assess whether this is suitable. Send a note to email@example.com
Future digital versions. The Spring 2014 Council meeting determined policy for distribution of the digital issues. When a new issue is about to be printed, a digital version will be made available to members and subscribers, at the time the paper copy is distributed. Each digital issue will become generally available one year later.
The Spring 2014 Issue is now available to current members and subscribers. If you meet either of those requirements and would like to try the digital version, please complete the request form.
Reading the Digital copy of the Gazette
At this point the digital version is a pdf of the hardcopy issue, with colour throughout, which does make for a much more interesting reading experience.
There are some software tools (often free) that can enhance the reading experience further. This is not an endorsement of this product, but meant to be an example. Our reader noted:
"I downloaded the free Soda PDF 3D reader. I currently have Windows 8 on my laptop [it runs on a number of platforms]. With this app the pdf of the Gazette opens like a print magazine with page flip using the touch screen or by clicking to turn pages. It also has the pdf search options and menu options for rotating, bookmarks, annotation, go to page, etc.
This side-by-side page turning is what I was looking for when we were first exploring the possibility of an electronic version of the magazine. This PDF 3D reader may be an option for others looking for another way to view the Gazette file.
I think it is fantastic."
Other Electronic Distribution of Articles from The Gazette:
All content in the Loyalist Gazette is made available electronically, article by article, for sale through a royalty agreement with Thomson Gale, an international information provider. These copies through Thomson Gale's distributors provide an additional way for the general public to read various articles that appear in each issue of the magazine.
Enquiries or submissions by authors should be mailed directly to:
Robert McBride UE
Editor, The Loyalist Gazette
R.R. # 1
Indian River, ON. Canada
As information really needs to be received in an electronic format, please send a note to the Association - see our contact page - and you will be connected by email to the editor.
Subscription Rates, Canada,the United States and other International:
- One Year: $16.00
- Two Years: $30.00
- Three Years: $43.00
- USA - please remit in US Funds
- One Year: $18.00
- Two Years: $34.00
- Three Years: $51.00
- Other International - please remit in Canadian Funds
- One Year: $23.00
- Two Years: $44.00
- Three Years: $58.00
If you would like to subscribe to the Loyalist Gazette, send your cheque to UELAC, 50 Baldwin Street, Suite 202, Toronto, ON M5T 1L4, or click here for an order form that you can print and mail.
A comprehensive list of the main articles in the Loyalist Gazette – more detailed for more recent issues – is now available in PDF format.
(To search the documents, try the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F or use the Search function in Adobe Reader's Edit menu.)
Click here for the complete index to the Loyalist Gazette, updated to Spring 2013.
Alternatively, browse the table of contents for an individual issue (this is the same text available in the complete index):
The Loyalist Gazette has been published twice yearly since 1963, with the exception of 1987 (one issue), which was made up in 1989 (three issues). Back copies are available for purchase at the cost of $8.00 per copy, postage paid. The following issues are "out of print" but photocopies may be purchased at a cost of $5.00 per article or $10.00 for the complete issue.
- VOL II # 1 — Spring 1964
- VOL VII # 1 — Spring 1969
- VOL IX # 1 — Spring 1971
- VOL XII # 1 — Spring 1974
- VOL XIV # 2 — Fall 1976
- VOL XV # 1 — Spring 1977
- VOL XVI # 1 — Spring 1978
- VOL XVIII # 2 — Fall 1980
- VOL XXI # 2 — Autumn 1983
- VOL XXII # 1 — Spring 1984
- VOL XXIII # 1 — Spring 1985
- VOL XXVI # 1 — Fall 1988
- VOL XXVII # 1 & 2 — Spring & Fall 1989
- VOL XXVIII # 1 & 2 — Spring & Fall 1990
- VOL XXXIII # 1 — Spring 1995
- VOL XXXIV # 2 — Fall 1996
- VOL XXXVII # 1 — Spring 1999
- VOL XLIII # 1 — Spring 2005
Please contact Dominion Office for further information or to order back copies of the Gazette.
The Loyalist Gazette, published twice yearly, focusses on the history of the Loyalist era and UELAC information. Its readership is primarily across Canada, but extends to the USA, the British Isles, Europe and abroad. This audience is interested in Canadian and American history and genealogy, especially the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
Advertising space is limited, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Advertising rates range from $500 for a full page to $100 for a business card, with a discount for placement in multiple issues.
For more information contact the Gazette Editor firstname.lastname@example.org
Loyalist Trails is a email newsletter, published every one to two weeks, by UELAC. It contains items of current Loyalist events from branches and elsewhere, queries, stories, anecdotes etc..There is no charge for this newsletter.
Review past issues of Loyalist Trails, available on-line: click here.
Loyalists, members and friends - anyone interested in Loyalist era history are welcome to subscribe to Loyalist Trails. Please tell your friends.
To subscribe to Loyalist Trails simply click here and tell us if you are a member, (and of which branch if you are), or friend, and in which country, province or state you live in.