UELAC Honours and Recognition
Honouring and Recognizing
As it takes a village to raise a child, the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada has relied on the support of a vast community of members, historians and other organizations to secure its vision:
To enrich the lives of Canadians through fostering public awareness of our national history, and, in particular, of the United Empire Loyalists and their contributions to Canada, while also celebrating their memory and perpetuating their heritage as an integral part of the Canadian identity.
AGM - 2002 June 8
So much has been achieved by volunteers during the past hundreds years, not in the pursuit of recognition but for the greater gain of our organization. In return, from time to time, UELAC has sought to express its appreciation to those who have served above and beyond to secure the Loyalist epoch in our country's history. The purpose of this section will be to acknowledge the varied forms of gratitude expressed over the years.
Honorary positions such as Honorary President and Honorary Vice-Presidents are decided at the Annual General Meeting in recognition of service to the Association.
Current Honorary Officers
|His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, CC, CMM, COM, CD, Governor General of Canada
|The Hon. Peter Milliken PC, OC, UE, BA, MA, LLB, LLD
Honorary Officers Who Served in the Past
The following list of those who have served previously is incomplete.
|Previous Honorary Vice-Presidents:|
|Mr. Todd Braisted UE, Mahwah, NJ||2007 until 2016|
|Dr. Wallace Brown, MA, PhD, F.R. Hist.S., Fredericton, NB||until 2016|
|Dr. Dorothy Duncan, O.Ont., LLD, FCMA, Orillia, ON||2004 until 2016|
|Mr. Zig Misiak, MET, Brantford, ON||2008 until 2016|
|BGen. W.J. Patterson UE, OMM, CD, MA, FAPT, Kingston, ON||until 2016|
|Sir Conrad Swan, KCVO, KGCN, PhD, LLD, FSA, Garter Principal, King of Arms Emeritus, England||until 2016|
|Mr. Gavin K Watt, C.M.H., King City, ON||2000 until 2016|
|Mr. Robert D. Watt UE, FRHSC, MA, Ottawa, ON||until 2016|
|Dr. Ian E. Wilson, CM, D.Litt., LLD, FICA, Ottawa, ON||until 2016|
|Mrs. Mary (Teed) Gillis, UE, Middleton, NS||until 2011|
|Ms. Orlo Jones, Cross Roads, PEI||until 2015|
|Prof. Hereward Senior, UE, PhD, McGill University, Montreal, QC||until 2013|
|Mrs. Liliane M. Stewart, OC, O.St.J., DLJ, Montreal, QC||until 2014|
|Dr. Earle Thomas, MA, PhD, Kingston, ON||until 2013|
To mark the bicentennial years of 1983 and 1984, the Dominion Council of the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada, dedicated a series of awards for leading members of the association. A special certificate and an appropriate medal were designed for presentations over the two years. Twenty members, one for each decade of celebration, were recognized for outstanding contribution and exceptional service to the life and work of the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada.
- John A. Aikman, Hamilton Branch
- Mrs. Elizabeth M. Blair, Toronto Branch
- Mrs. Rita C. Bower, Shelburne Branch
- E. J. Chard
- D. Stuart Gilmor, Toronto Branch
- Mrs. Elizabeth J. Hancocks, Gov. Simcoe Branch
- Miss Mabel L. Kelly, Hamilton Branch
- Henry N. Ruttan,
- Mrs. Doreen G. Todhunter, Vancouver Branch
- Dr. Horace G. Walton-Ball, Gov. Simcoe Branch
As presented by Col. The Hon. John R. Matheson and Senator Eugene Forsey to:
- L. Col. Frank Cooper, Sir Guy Carleton Branch
- Mr. John A. Eaman, London Branch
- Mrs. M. Jean Goodger, Dominion Secretary, Gov. Simcoe Branch
- Mrs. Ruth Gould, Grand River Branch
- Miss Louise Hill, Fredericton Branch
- Mr. Charles J. Humber, Gov. Simcoe Branch
- Mrs. Kathleen Hymas, Calgary Branch
- Mrs. Audrey Kirk, Toronto Branch
- Dr. Allan Walters, Bay of Quinte Branch
- Mr. James R. Zavitz, London Branch
The UELAC Dorchester Award established October 2007 by Dominion Council exemplifies Volunteer Excellence and Participation, by conferring recognition on recipient(s), for their lengthy contribution to the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada. Exclusive to the UELAC membership, this Award salutes the "best in volunteerism" amongst our members within the Association
- 2016 - Joan Lucas, UE - Kawartha Branch
- 2015 - Carl Stymiest, UE - Vancouver Branch
- 2014 - Fred H. Hayward, UE - Hamilton Branch
- 2013 - Elizabeth "Libby" Hancocks, UE - Gov. Simcoe Branch
- 2012 - Shirley Dargatz, UE - Chilliwack Branch
- 2011 - Doug Grant, UE - Gov. Simcoe Branch
- 2010 - Elizabeth Richardson, UE - Kawartha Branch
- 2009 - John Chard, UE - Kingston Branch
- 2008 - Margaret Carter, UE - Manitoba Branch
Established 01 May 1974, the last Companions of the Order were admitted in 2002. In 2007, Heritage Branch turned over the MHOMH to the UELAC. The UELAC Dorchester Award was developed by the Volunteer Recognition Committee to replace the former honours approach.
The Legacy of Loyal Americans ~ Hall of Honour was created in 2003 by the Bay of Quinte Branch. It has the following purpose: to identify and celebrate those descendants of the United Empire Loyalists who have made significant achievements, either locally, nationally or internationally.
- Inductees listed in chronological order with brief biographical notes.
Established in 2006, the Vancouver Branch inaugurated the Phillip E. M. Leith Memorial Medal to be awarded annually to a person, from the Pacific Region, as recognition for their outstanding volunteer work on behalf of the association.
- 2016 – Dr Peter Warren Wentworth Bell, UE, Vancouver Branch.
- 2015 – Patricia Kelderman, UE, Thompson-Okanagan Branch
- 2014 - Dr. Gerald Brown, UE, Vancouver Branch
- 2014 - Maralynn Wilkinson, UE, Victoria Branch
- 2013 - Catherine Fryer, UE, Victoria Branch
- 2013 - Linda Nygard, UE, Vancouver Branch
- 2012 - Gwen Dumfries UE, Vancouver Branch
- 2012 - Robert Ferguson UE, Victoria Branch
- 2011 - Judy Scholz UE, Chilliwack Branch
- 2011 - Audrey Viken UE, Vancouver Branch
- 2010 - Mary Anne Bethune UE, Vancouver Branch
- 2010 - Wilma Saville UE, Victoria Branch
- 2009 - Rebecca Fraser UE, Vancouver Branch
- 2009 - Alvin Huffman UE, Victoria Branch
- 2008 - Peter Moogk UE, Vancouver Branch
- 2007 - Shirley Dargatz UE, Chilliwack Branch
- 2007 - Vona Smith UE, Vancouver Branch
UELAC offers an opportunity for members and friends to suitably honour a deceased person by having their name entered into the UELAC Book of Remembrance. This can be accomplished by completing a form and making a donation to the Memorial Fund. This Fund supports projects which help to preserve and promote the Loyalist heritage.
It is permissible, in an obituary of a Regular or Affiliate UELAC Member, to use the letters UE after their name. The Mark of Honour or UE after the names of the original Loyalists or their descendants alludes to their great principle "The Unity of the Empire."
Unfortunately, the postnominal is sometimes printed as UEL (with or without the periods). This is quite incorrect, as the designation UEL is used to refer to ONLY the original United Empire Loyalists.
If a symbol of the Association is desired for a pubication or for funeral cards, the Members Badge or Cypher is recommended and may be used.
The Armorial Bearings have occasionally appeared with obituaries of deceased members, on funeral cards etc. This is an inappropriate use of the Armorial Bearings which are copyrighted. Any use of the Bearings requires written permission of Dominion Council.