It was taken to England from Damascus during the Crusades. In 1773, John Cameron of Clunes and Mary Cameron of Glen Nevis brought the rose with them when they emigrated to Sir William Johnson's estates in the Mohawk Valley of New York.
In 1776, John Cameron joined the King's Royal Regiment of New York. After the Revolution, the family carried the rose with them on their 230-mile trek over the Appalachians to the Cornwall area. It grows today in the Ottawa Valley in the gardens of the descendants of John and Mary Cameron.
Two hundred years later in 1976, Ethel MacLeod, a descendant, registered "The Loyalist Rose" with the International Registration Authority for Roses. She donated it to the United Empire Loyalsits' Association of Canada to mark the Bi-centennial for the American Revolution and the coming of the Loyalsits to Canada.
It is a cupped very double fragrent pale pink rose fading to white, bushy, densely branched blooming well in June.
Reference: Branch President's Manual, UELAC