Loyalists, Pioneers and Settlers of the Maritimes
The Loyalists, Pioneers and Settlers of the Maritimes, A Teacher's Resource was prepared for teachers in the Atlantic Provinces of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick in 2000 under the leadership of Bernice Wood Flett UE, Chair of the Dominion Education Committee UELAC.
Acknowledgement of the many contributors to this project can be found in the Introduction. Additional resource material may be found on branch websites as well as the weekly contributions by Stephen Davidson to Loyalist Trails, the UELAC electronic newsletter.
- 1. Introduction (pp.i-vi)
- 1. A Short History of the United Empire Loyalists (pp.1-6)
- Who were the Loyalists?
- Exodus to an Unknown Land
- Loyalist Settlements
- The Loyalist Heritage
- 2. Pre-Loyalist Settlement in the Maritimes (pp.7-9)
- The Original Inhabitants
- Early European Influence
- Pre-Loyalist Migration
- 3. Loyalist Settlement in Nova Scotia (pp.10-19)
- Halifax, Shelburne, Digby, Guysborough
- John Parr,. John Wentworth, Flora Macdonald, Henry Magee
- Cape Breton Island, Rev. Ranna Cossit
- 4. Loyalist Settlement in Prince Edward Island (pp.20-26)
- Edmund Fanning, William Schurman, William Wright
- 5. Loyalist Settlement in New Brunswick (pp.27-38)
- New Brunswick Loyalists
- The Crest of the City of Saint John, Saint John
- The Loyalists' first winter in Fredericton
- Kingston, St. Croix Settlements
- Thomas Carleton, Edward Winslow, Elizabeth (Hazen) and Ward Chipman
- The Odell Family, Dr. Azor Betts and Glorianna Purdy Betts
- 6. Black Settlers (pp.39-41)
- Thomas Peters, Boston King, Location of Sierra Leone
- 7. The Military (pp.42-44)
- Loyalist Regiments
- 8. Home Life of the Times (pp.45-53)
- The Lives of Women
- Overcoming Hardships
- Clothing, Transportation, Games
- 9. Religion (pp.54-57)
- Bishop Charles Inglis
- University of King's College
- Dissenting Protestants
- The First Presbyterian Church
- 10. Loyalist Symbols (pp.58-62)
- Loyalist Day Proclamation in N.B.
- Mark of Honour
- Loyalist Badge
- Loyalist Flag
- 11. Suggested Activities (p.63)
About This Resource
The Loyalists, Pioneers and Settlers of the Maritimes, A Teacher's Resource was developed by the Dominion Education Committee UELAC for distribution to the Provincial Departments of Education in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick in 2000.
Transcribed and Posted September 2015.