Loyalist House, Saint John
Located on located at the corner of Union and Germain Streets in Saint John, Loyalist House was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1958. It first received its plaque in 1963. As a residence built circa 1820, it clearly displays New England-influenced architecture.
The inscription of the plaque, approved by the Board on 11 December 2000, reads as follows:
LA MAISON LOYALISTE
This gracious building is a well-preserved example of the homes built by prosperous United Empire Loyalists and their descendants. Constructed before 1820 by the merchant David Merritt, this house was maintained with minimal change by five generations of his family who lived here until 1959. Its harmonious proportions, symmetrical composition and interior layout and detailing show the influence of the classical tradition brought from New England. One of the oldest residences in the city, Loyalist House is an important survivor of the Great Fire which destroyed much of central Saint John in 1877.
Cette élégante demeure offre un bel exemple des maisons construites par de riches Loyalistes et leurs descendants. Elle fut érigée avant 1820 par le marchand David Merritt et cinq générations de sa famille l'habitèrent jusqu'en 1959, assurant ainsi sa remarquable conservation. Les proportions harmonieuses et symétriques ainsi que l'organisation et les détails intérieurs reflètent la tradition classique britannique de la Nouvelle-Angleterre. Fière survivante du grand incendie de 1877, la Maison loyaliste compte parmi les plus anciennes résidences de Saint John.
For more information, visit Loyalist House.