Information on the Loyalists
Hendreck Beljee/Bulyea and Engeltje Storm had eight children that we know of:
JOHN WELLING, another loyal British subject who chose to leave his native land after the American Revolution and to seek refuge in a British possession, was from Welling's Burg, near Newbury, New York. He was the son of John Welling, senior, and his wife was Mary Mullinden, daughter of Peter Mullinden. The Wellings had eight children. They lived in Jamaica, Long Island, near New York, and later moved to New Windsor, New York.
Before the end of January 1783, American hostilities had ceased, and Great Britain, France, Spain and the United States had framed articles of general pacification. To Sir Guy Carleton, with headquarters in New York, fell the task of disbanding the troops and making arrangements for the transfer of Loyalists. As early as April, the exodus commenced with the sailing of the spring fleet to Nova Scotia, which included, at that time, what is now New Brunswick. It was not until after the coming of the Loyalists and Disbanded Soldiers that New Brunswick was made a separate colony.
Every issue of a New York newspaper carried notices relating to the embarkation during the summer of 1783. For example: "Notice to Refugees. The following transports...will certainly fall down on Monday morning; it will therefore be absolutely necessary for the people who are appointed to go in these companies to be all aboard To-Morrow Evening". John probably sailed on one of the transports which left New York bound for the port of Saint John. His brothers, William, Frederick, Peter and two sisters chose to remain in the New York area.
A petition, dated 1785 at Grimross on the Saint John River, bears his signature. This memorial was signed shortly before John decided to leave the Saint John River Valley and move over to the Island of Saint John. On September 7, 1785 John Welling and two other Loyalists were each granted three hundred acres of land on Lot 17. These two grantees were John Small and John Fox. Three others, all married men, were granted five hundred acres each, they were Daniel Green, George Linkletter and Benjamin Darby. Descendants of Green, Darby, Linkletter and Small may still be found living on Lot 17.
John Welling built his log cabin on a point of land known as Welling's Point. On the map of Prince Edward Island in the 1880 Atlas, the point on Linkletter Shore is marked Wellon Point. However, on the larger map of Lot 17 it is spelled "Phelan Pt." It is in that area that the Linkletter Provincial Park has been established.
John married his neighbour, Benjamin Darby's daughter, Elizabeth. He may have known her back in Newburgh where she was born in 1773, and where she was said to have suffered indignities and hardships at the hands of the rebels. In 1795 Elizabeth's married sister, Mary Hanington, lonely in a new land, induced the Welling family to move across the strait and settle near the Hanington family in the Shediac Cape area of New Brunswick. John and Elizabeth and their two sons, William and Frederick, lived in a deserted cabin until a more comfortable home was built in 1796. Here their other children were born. John Welling died on March 31, 1831 and was laid to rest in St. Martin's-in-the-Wood Churchyard, Shediac Cape.
Those were the days of large families and they had a family of eight sons and four daughters. Since there were few eligibles around in the matter of marriage, there was a tendency to intermarriage with families nearby.